Monday, November 04, 2013

QUICK: Cinnamon Chilli Chocolate Fudge



Recently we went to a dinner party and my husband informed me an hour before we were due to leave that the invite had stated that we should bring sweets. This was news to me. Now this might be fine if you happen to have sweets in your pantry or will have access to a shop. We had neither.

The only sweet I could think of making was a fudge, but wasn't sure I would want to waste a lot of time with heating the mix to the correct stage. So after a quick internet search I found a recipe for a cheats fudge. Which meant I'd be able to have a batch of fudge setting in the fridge within 5 minutes. The only times I've ever made fudge it seemed like a laborious task to create it, having to slave over a stove for ages. Could it really be made simple? Apparently so.

The base recipe is for a cinnamon chocolate fudge, but after tasting the batter I thought it could do with a bit more of a flavour hit so I added way more cinnamon and also some chilli. A bit of a risky flavour combination but hey, I like it. The good thing is that since you're not cooking a boiling hot mixture you'll be able to taste-test your batter and therefore adjust the spices to your tastes, or even omit them if you want and go for a plain chocolate fudge. Just make sure you work reasonably quickly as you don't want it to cool too much before pouring it into a tray to set. Also, while the fudge can be made in a flash, don't forget that it will take at least an hour to set, so factor that into your time-frame if you're pushed for time like I was.

The original recipe is here.

This is my version:

CINNAMON CHILLI CHOCOLATE FUDGE

Ingredients:

3 cups icing sugar (confectioners' sugar)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 and 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon powder
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
1/2 cup butter (113g)
1/4 cup milk
1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Method:

Grease a 20cm x 20cm (8x8inch) square tin. Can also use a 23cm (9inch) round tin.

Sift the icing sugar, cocoa, cinnamon and chilli into a bowl.

Heat the butter and milk in a saucepan until the butter has completely melted. Stir in the vanilla extract.

Remove from heat and stir in the sugar mixture until well combined.

Pour into prepared tin and refrigerate for an hour or until firm.

Cut into squares, then eat!

6 comments:

  1. that sounds and looks great! Will give that a go ... though I'm a sucker for slaving over the hot stove and the traditional hard fudge!!!! nom nom nom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yip it doesn't have the same texture as traditional fudge, still good, but different. haha that's awesome, I always just get so impatient waiting for the soft ball stage, though I suppose it's fun like a science experiment. The nerd in me appreciates that aspect. :P

      Delete
  2. Wow Linoo just mouth watering :) i love fudge.. will keep that try for sure !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to come across ur blog!! Following u now!!! Stay connected!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message!