Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Nutty And Spicy - Fried Brussels Sprouts





















I feel sorry for Brussels sprouts. They seem to be the number one stereotypical vegetable that everyone hates. But is it really true? Do we all hate them? Personally I love them, and I even loved eating them when I was a kid. Sure we grow up disliking different foods, and probably need to try things a few times, or prepared different ways, before we get accustomed to eating them. But it's sad when one poor innocent (and delicious) vegetable has to be the poster-child for "yucky vegetables".

I don't even know if this stereotype has any basis any more, and I don't know how these vicious rumours even start. But I do know that most of the people I know actually like Brussels sprouts, and some (like me) even love them. So today I thought I'd share my fun and yummy way of preparing them. Maybe you could even give it a go if you've never been a fan of these cute little cabbages. 

The flavours in this dish give a bit of excitement to the humble sprout, but they don't overpower. I should also mention that you should feel free to do away with the measurements and just splash stuff in. Taste as you go, add more chilli if you like more kick, and why not sprinkle in some chopped peanuts if you like things more 'nutty'. Brussels sprouts definitely don't have to be that boring ignored vegetable any more. Ignore the myth.

Ingredients:

250g Brussels sprouts (this is about 12 medium sized sprouts)
1 tablespoon crushed fresh ginger, can also grate or finely chop
1 garlic clove, crushed (or grated or chopped)
1 dried red chilli, chopped finely (fresh chilli is fine too)
1 and 1/2 teaspoon thai fish sauce
1 heaped tablespoon peanut butter (I like to use 'crunchy' peanut butter)

Method:
Slice the sprouts into 3 pieces.

Heat a little oil in a pan to a high heat. Peanut oil is ideal.

Add the sprouts and fry for just a minute or two at the most.

Add the ginger, garlic and chilli. Fry for a minute.

Whisk the fish sauce and peanut butter together with a few tablespoons of water, then add to the pan.

Make sure everything is combined well and cook for a few minutes more until they are just tender.

Serves 2 as a large side, or 3 as a small side dish.

4 comments:

  1. Mmm, love the touch of gold! Have always disliked brussels sprouts but I do agree that if cooked right they don't taste too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't just like brussels sprouts, I LOVE them. I never had them as a child, they just weren't in my parents repertoire of cooking. So being introduced to these dinky cabbages as an adult, I didn't have the same misconceptions about them. My favourite is roasting these with a little oil, garlic, spices like cumin and nutmeg. Roasting them in a hot oven give them that tinge of caramelisation. Divine! I realised how much I liked brussels sprouts when I roasted them with bacon and potato and I picked out the brussels sprouts and at them BEFORE I ate the bacon. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, I love the flavours on those sprouts, always good to jazz them up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys, good to see Brussels sprouts aren't hated by everyone. And yum I'm going to have to try roasting them - thanks to your comment bunnyeatsdesign. Never would have thought I'd crave Brussels sprouts, but I do.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message!